Citizenship & Naturalization

The Ultimate American Dream


Citizenship and Naturalization

U.S. citizenship is the highest immigration benefit offered by the United States government. An individual may acquire U.S. citizenship at birth or through a process called naturalization. 

Common ways an individual may obtain U.S. citizenship in the following ways:

  • Citizenship at birth through one or both parents;
  • Marriage to a U.S. citizen;
  • Military Service; 
  • Good Moral Character and at least 5 years as a Legal Permanent Resident or Green Card Holder.

Houston Naturalization Attorney

Tatiauna Holland of the Holland Law Firm, PLLC has successfully assisted individuals throughout the Greater Houston area, including Houston, Conroe, the Woodlands, Willis, Huntsville, Sugar Land, Richmond, and surrounding areas obtain U.S. citizenship.

If you believe you may be eligible for U.S. citizenship, it is imperative to contact an experienced immigration immediately. Call (832) 871-5732 for a confidential consultation and thorough review of your case.

U.S. Citizenship at Birth

It is a common misconception that a person is automatically a U.S. citizen at birth, when one or both parents are U.S. citizens; however, Federal immigration law only permits an individual born outside of the U.S. to claim citizenship at birth in limited circumstances.

First, a child born outside of the US automatically acquires citizenship if all of the following conditions exist:

  1. One parent is a U.S. citizen;
  2. The child is under the age of 18; and
  3. The child resides in the U.S. and is in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent pursuant to admission for permanent residence.

Additionally, a U.S. citizen parent may petition for the certificate of citizenship for children born out of the U.S. if the following conditions exist:

  1. One parent is a U.S. citizen;
  2. U.S. citizen parent is physically in the U.S. more than 5 years with at least 2 being over the age of 14;
  3. Child is under the age of 18; and 
  4. Child resides outside of the United States.

Claiming U.S. citizenship at birth is a complex process, it is highly recommended to consult an experienced immigration attorney to discuss eligibility.

U.S. Citizenship Through Marriage

If a U.S. citizen marries a non-resident or someone without permanent resident status (i.e. a person who is unlawfully present in the U.S., came to the U.S. on a fiancee visa, came to the U.S. on a student visa, etc.), he or she must first obtain a green card or become a permanent resident before applying for U.S. citizenship through naturalization. Any permanent resident can apply for naturalization, if he or she satisfies all of the requirements; however, spouses of U.S. citizens obtain certain perks, including the ability to apply for U.S. citizenship early.

A U.S. citizen spouse may apply for naturalization based on marriage after only 3 years of being a permanent resident and proof of good moral character. If you or your spouse are considering applying for citizenship based on marriage to a U.S. citizen, it is important to consult an experienced immigration attorney to reduce the chances of delay.

Applying for U.S. Citizenship in Houston, Texas

The Holland Law Firm, PLLC is a Houston-based immigration law firm with offices in Midtown Houston and just north of The Woodlands. Contact the Holland Law Firm, PLLC today to schedule a confidential review of your case. Managing attorney, Tatiauna Holland, proudly assists clients obtain permanent residence, citizenship, DACA status, and other immigration benefits.

Contact experienced immigration lawyer, Tatiauna Holland, today at (936) 539-6882 or submit an online form to schedule a confidential consultation at one of our convenient Houston area locations.