Law Firm News and Updates

QTNA: Must I receive a high school diploma to get DACA?

Questions that Need Answers (QTNA): Must I receive a high school diploma to get DACA?

Short Answer: Not necessarily. In order to receive Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals or DACA the applicant must currently be enrolled in school, have graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, have obtained a general education development (GED) certificate, or are an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States (in addition to fulfilling the other requirements for DACA).

This means an applicant for DACA is not required to have obtained a high school diploma before DACA is awarded. The individual can be currently pursuing a high school degree. Alternatively, the applicant could pursue or have obtained his or her GED.

It is important to remember that the educational requirement for DACA is only part of establishing eligibility. A DACA recipient must fulfill certain age, physical presence, criminal record requirements as well. 

If you have specific questions about DACA or would like to know if you are eligible for Consideration for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, it is highly recommended to consult an experienced immigration attorney.

Houston DACA Attorney

The aforementioned information is for educational purposes only and is not intended to serve as legal advice. For more information about DACA eligibility, the application process, and more, contact the Holland Law Firm, PLLC at (936) 539-6882 or submit an online.

The Holland Law Firm, PLLC is a full-service immigration law firm with offices in Central Houston and The Woodlands area. 

Related Articles:

Holland Law Firm, PLLC Blog: Can I Travel Out of the Country for Spring Break with DACA?


USCIS Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)